Job Title: Learning & Community Officer
Responsible to: Finance Director
Responsible for: Apprentice, work placements, interns, learning providers, and volunteers
Hours: 25 hours per week (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm)
Salary: £18k pro-rata (£13k per annum)
Application deadline: 27 May 2014
The Dreamland Trust will be opening an interactive and immersive Visitor & Learning Arcade this spring to engage as broad an audience as possible with Dreamland’s rich heritage, its listed assets and cultural themes.
The Dreamland Trust is now seeking to appoint a Learning & Community Officer to join the Visitor & Learning Arcade team to define and deliver the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Activity Plan learning programme through a range of wide-reaching and highly accessible platforms.
The successful candidate will have creative flair, imagination, relevant teaching experience and a genuine passion for British seaside cultural heritage.
The purpose of the role is to define and deliver a captivating and imaginative programme of learning activities to ensure that The Dreamland Trust meet the HLF’s strategic aims to tell people about their own and other peoples’ heritage.
The learning programme will engage both formal and informal learners with the Dreamland’s unique and nationally significant history and important place in the history of British seaside amusement park heritage.
Set up a new Learning Department, devising appropriate systems and resources for the smooth running of the facility, liaising with learning providers, colleagues, outside agencies and partners and develop a service that responds to local, regional and national agendas.
Develop, deliver and evaluate high-quality, cross-curricular learning sessions, using exhibitions, Dreamland’s heritage assets, historical themes and archival material, for formal education groups from Early Learning Years to Stage 4, ensuring that National Curriculum needs are met.
Develop, deliver and evaluate tailor-made programmes of study for post-16 students, highlighting the uniqueness and international importance of the Dreamland site.
Provide direct teaching both onsite and offsite as required.
Research and prepare marketing materials for the learning programme and associated activities, working with the Heritage & Engagement Manager, Events Manager, design team and marketing staff.
Supervise, support and monitor apprenticeships, work experience placements, interns and Devise and facilitate training for teachers, student teachers, volunteers and staff.
Attract family visitors to the Arcade through a dynamic and creative programme linked to Dreamland’s heritage themes and Margate’s wider events programme. Work closely with the Heritage & Engagement Manager to develop engaging opportunities for family and adult learning, taking into account the current national and regional initiatives.
- Maintain existing and build new learning partnerships
- Develop, deliver and evaluate the learning programme for both formal and informal learners
- Seek out and initiate project work
- Apprenticeship schemes and work placements
- Create and update online content and teacher’s packs
- Marketing and bookings
- Keep up-to-date with the national curriculum and government policies
- Ensure safeguarding of visitors
- Work closely with Heritage & Engagement Manager
- Work with external partners to develop and build joint activities and cross promotion
- Produce reports
Other duties and responsibilities:
- To act as ambassador for Dreamland and point of contact for visitors to the Arcade
- Identify external funding and sponsorship opportunities
- Keep up-to-date with current education theory and practices
- Recruit, train and co-ordinate a pool of learning facilitators and volunteers
- Supervise casual learning facilitators, volunteers and freelancers as necessary
- Be aware of health and safety legislation and ensure compliance with legal responsibilities associated with cultural activities, the Health and Safety at Work Act, the Council’s Safety Policy, The Equality Act and the Department Safety Policy
- Be aware of child protection legislation and ensure compliance with legal responsibilities associated with children’s activities
- Work closely with other attractions in and around Margate to maximise shared resources
- Monitor and manage the learning budget in compliance with The Dreamland Trust’s financial rules and procedures
- Provide reports to the Heritage & Learning Manager and General Manager as and when required
- Review of the Learning Policy and Plan
Working condition and environment:
Based in the Visitor & Learning Arcade in Dreamland’s Grade II*-listed cinema building, occasionally required to work from The Dreamland Trust HQ at Marine Studios, schools and other venues as required. Some evening and weekend work may be required from time-to-time for which lieu time will be given.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com